Twenty-three Chicago restaurants have earned Michelin’s mark of culinary excellence, as the star-studded list was announced on Tuesday.
The coveted Michelin designation is based on a number of factors, from the restaurant’s cuisine to the chef’s techniques.
Among the group that won stars, Alinea topped the list with three – the highest ranking possible – for the 12th year in a row. Chef Grant Achatz’s Lincoln Park Restaurant is the city’s only three-star restaurant.
The roster also welcomed four newcomers to the one-star scene: Claudia, Esmé, Galit and Kasama.
“MICHELIN Guide inspectors have found that Chicago restaurant chefs and teams consistently maintain a high level of quality and creativity in dining experiences, even as keeping them in business has been an unprecedented challenge over the past year. past year,” Gwendal Poullennec, International Director of the MICHELIN Guides, said in a statement.
The following restaurants have been awarded “excellent cuisine, worth a detour” status with two stars:
- Ever, 1340 W. Fulton Market
- Moody Tongue, 2515 S. Wabash Ave.
- Oriole, 661 W. Walnut St.
- Smyth, 177 N. Ada St.
The following restaurants have been awarded “High quality cuisine, worth a visit” status with one star:
- Boka, 1729 N. Halsted St.
- Claudia, 1952 N Damen Ave.
- EL Ideas, 2419 W. 14th St.
- Elizabeth, 4835 N. Western Ave.
- Elske, 1350 W. Randolph Ave.
- Esme, 2200 N Clark St.
- Galit, 2429 N Lincoln Ave.
- Goosefoot, 2656 W. Lawrence Ave.
- Kasama, 1001 N Winchester Ave.
- Mako, 731 W. Lake St.
- Next, 953 W. Fulton Market
- North Pond, 2610 N. Cannon Dr.
- Omakase Yume, 651 W. Washington Blvd.
- Porto, 1600 W. Chicago Ave.
- Schwa, 1466 N. Ashland Ave.
- Sepia, 123 N. Jefferson St.
- Temporis, 933 N. Ashland Ave.
- Topolobampo, 445 N. Clark St.
Seven Chicago restaurants snagged a spot on the Michelin Guide’s Bib Gourmand lineup for affordability and culinary excellence earlier this week. The Michelin Guide Chicago also selected 23 restaurants from a variety of popular eateries across the city, leaving them esteemed reviews from renowned food inspectors.