The Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon is back for 2022.
After being canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the founding race made a special appearance in October. Now the Flying Pig is returning to its traditional timeslot of the first Sunday in May. In addition to the Grand Marathon on May 1, there will be additional events on April 29 and 30 (including the Half Marathon, which was recently named the best in the country).
But with the fun comes lots and lots of planning, even for those who don’t participate. Starting April 28, a number of Cincinnati streets will be closed or detoured during Flying Pig events, primarily on Sundays. See the full schedule of Flying Pig road closures from April 28 to May 1.
Here’s what to look out for on main race day:
Sunday May 1
- Mehring Way, Central Ave. at Joe Nuxhall Way, 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Elm St., Mehring Way to 2nd St., 1 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Freedom Way, Elm Street to Race Street, 1 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Second St., Elm St. to E. Pete Rose Way, 6 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
- E. Pete Rose Way, 2nd Street to Taylor Southgate Bridge, 6:30 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
- Taylor Southgate Bridge, E. Pete Rose Road to 3rd Street 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 3rd Street, Taylor Southgate Bridge to Monmouth Street, 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
- Monmouth St., 3rd to 5th Street, 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.
- 5th St., Monmouth St. at Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, 4th to 3rd Street, 6:30 a.m. to 8:15 a.m.
- 3rd Street, Clay Wade Bailey Bridge to Gest Street, 6:30 a.m. to 8:15 a.m.
- Gest St. (northbound), 3rd St. to 7th St. Ramp, 6:45-8:30 a.m.
- 7th St., Gest St. to Gilbert Ave., 6:45 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
- Gilbert Ave. (northbound), 7th St. at Eden Park Drive, 6:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Eden Park Drive, Gilbert to Victory Parkway, 6:45 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Lakes Dr., Eden Park Drive to Eden Park Drive, 6:45 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
- Victory Parkway (northbound), Eden Park Drive to E. McMillan, 7:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- E. McMillan, from Victory Pkwy to Woodburn Ave., 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Woodburn Ave., E. McMillan to Madison Rd., 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- Madison Road. (eastbound), Woodburn Avenue to Erie Avenue, 7 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Erie Ave. (eastbound), Madison Rd. to Bramble Rd., 7:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Murray Road. (eastbound), Erie Avenue to LaCrosse Avenue, 7:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Bramble Rd. (eastbound), Erie Ave. to Settle St., 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Settle Street, Bramble Rd. to Murray Rd., 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Murray Road, Settle Street to Thorndike Road, 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Thorndike Road, Murray Road. at East St., 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- East Street, Thorndike Road. at Miami Rd., 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Miami Road. (southbound), East St. to Wooster Pike, 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Madisonville Road. (northbound), Wooster Pike to Murray Rd., 7:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Germania St., Murray Rd. at Bancroft Street, from 7:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Bancroft St., Germania to Watterson Rd. 7:45am-11:30am
- Watterson Road (southbound), Bancroft Street to Elder Street, 7:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Elder St, Watterson Rd. at Southern Ave., 7:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Southern Ave., Elder St. to Wooster Pike, 7:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
- Eastern Ave. (westbound), Columbia Parkway to Stanley Ave., 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Stanley Ave. (southbound), Eastern Ave. at Kellogg Ave., 8:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Kellogg Ave. (westbound), Stanley Ave. at Delta Ave., 8:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Riverside Drive (eastbound), Delta Avenue to Eggleston Avenue, 8:15 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- E. Pete Rose Way, Eggleston to Mehring Way, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Mehring Way, E. Pete Rose Way to Joe Nuxhall Way, 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 2nd St. exit at SB 75, NB 75 and EB 50, 6:00-8:00 a.m.
- 7th St. exit at SB 75, 6:30-9am
- Martin Luther King Dr. (eastbound) Woodburn Ave. to Gilbert Ave. 7:00 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
- Gilbert Ave. (northbound), Martin Luther King Dr. to Eden Park Dr., 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Sinton St., Gilbert Ave. at Nassau St., 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Nassau St., Sinton St. to Gilbert Ave., 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Gilbert Ave. (southbound), Eden Park Dr. to Elsinore Pl., 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Elsinore Pl., Gilbert Avenue to Reading Road, 7:15 a.m. to 10:15 a.m.
- Reading path. (northbound), Elsinore Pl. at Central Parkway, 7:15 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Central Parkway, Eggleston Avenue to Walnut Street, 7:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
- Eggleston Ave. (southbound) Central Parkway to E. Pete Rose Way, 7:15 a.m. to noon
- Roebling Bridge, Ohio to Kentucky, 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Additionally, Metro typically posts detours for bus stops along Flying Pig race routes, but the transit agency has not released its list as of April 26.
Stay connected with CityBeat. Subscribe to our newsletters and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TwitterGoogle News, Apple News and Reddit.
Send CityBeat a news or story tip or submit a calendar event.