WAUKEGAN, Ill. (AP) — The man accused of opening fire at an Independence Day parade in suburban Chicago is due back in court Wednesday, a week after prosecutors announced that he faced 117 charges in the attack that killed seven people and injured dozens more. .
Robert E. Crimo III is scheduled to appear in Lake County Circuit Court on Wednesday to formally argue the charges — 21 counts of first-degree murder, 48 counts of attempted murder and 48 counts of aggravated battery representing those killed and injured during the 4th of July Parade in Highland Park.
In late July, Lake County prosecutors announced that a grand jury had indicted Crimo on the charges. They had previously filed seven murder charges against the 21-year-old in the days following the shooting.
The multiple first-degree murder charges allege that Crimo intended to kill, caused death or grievous bodily harm, and acted with a high likelihood of causing death or grievous bodily harm to the seven deceased persons.
A representative from the county’s Office of Public Defenders, which represents Crimo, said the office does not publicly comment on any cases.
Prosecutors said Crimo admitted to shooting once police arrested him after an hour-long search for the shooter who opened fire from the rooftop of a building along the parade route.
Authorities said the injured ranged in age from 8 to 80, including an 8-year-old boy who was paralyzed from the waist down when the shooting severed his spine.