To allow thousands of runners to take to the streets for the 44th Bank of America Chicago Marathon, the city is issuing a series of road closures and parking restrictions.
With 26.2 miles of walking distance, runners will be guided through 29 neighborhoods, dozens of historic sites and six bridges over the Chicago River.
Organizers estimated that the route would be covered by 40,000 runners, with many supporters also expected to be scattered along the route.
The marathon will begin at 7:20 a.m. on October 9 at Grant Park near Columbus Drive and Grand Avenue. The streets will remain closed from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
area closed by marathon
- Columbus Drive Haste Grand Avenue: FROM 7A 10:00 AM
- Grand Avenue Desday Columbus Drive Haste State Street: 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- State Street Desday Grand Avenue Haste Jackson Blvd. : 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Jackson Boulevard Desade State Street Hasta LaSalle Street: 7 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- LaSalle Street gives Stockton Drive to Jackson Boulevard early: 7 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Stockton Drive replaced LaSalle Drive early Fullerton Drive: 7 a.m. to 11:45 p.m.
- Fullerton Drive to Stockton Drive Start of Cannon Walk: 7:00 a.m. to 11:45 p.m.
- Cannon Drive to the start of Sheridan Road to Fullerton Drive: DE 7A 11:45 a.m.
- Sheridan Road from Diversi Parkway to Belmont Avenue: 7 a.m. to 11:45 p.m.
- Inner Lakeshore Drive from Belmont Avenue to Sheridan Road: 7 a.m. to noon
- Sheridan Road, Inner Lakeshore Drive to Broadway Avenue: 7 a.m. to noon
- Broadway Avenue Desde Sheridan Road Haste Briar Place: 7 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
- Broadway Avenue Desde Briar Place Hasta Diversi Parkway: 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Clark Street Dayday Diversity Parkway Hurry Fullerton Parkway: 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Clark Street Desday Fullerton Parkway Hasta Webster Avenue: 7:00 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Webster Avenue from Clark Street Hurry Sedgwick Street: 7am-12.45pm
- Rue Sedgwick Avenue Desday Webster Avenue Haste North: 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- North Avenue Desday Sedgwick Street Hurry Wells Street: 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Wells Street Desday North Avenue Haste Walton Street: 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wells Street gives Early Walker Drive to Walton Street: 7 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Wacker Drive from Wells Street Early Monroe Street: 7 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Monroe Street Desday Wacker Drive Haste Halstead Street: 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Halsted Street Desade Munro Street Hasta Adams Street: 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Adams Street from Halstead Street to Damon Avenue: 7 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Damon Avenue from Adams Street to Jackson Boulevard: 7 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Jackson Boulevard Desade Damon Avenue Haste Halstead Street: 7:00 a.m. 2:15 p.m.
- Halstead Street replaced Jackson Boulevard from Taylor Street: 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Taylor Street replaced Halstead Street at the start of Loomis Street: 7:00 a.m. 2:45 p.m.
- Loomis Street opens Taylor Street at 18th Street: 7:00 a.m. 2:45 p.m.
- 18th Street Desde Loomis Street Haste Halsted Street: 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Halsted Street from 18th Street to 21st Street: 7 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- 21st Street from Halsted Street Hasta Canalport Avenue: 7 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Canalport Avenue Desday 21st Street Hasta Cermak Road: 7 a.m. to 3:15 p.m.
- Cermak Road from Canalport Avenue Haste Wentworth Avenue: 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Wentworth Avenue from Cermak Road Hasta 26th Street: 7 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- 26th Desday Street Wentworth Avenue Hurry Michigan Avenue: 7 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Michigan Avenue from 26th Street to 35th Street: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 35th Street from Michigan Avenue Hasta Indiana Avenue: 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Indiana Avenue from 35th Street to 31st Street: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 31st Street from Indiana Avenue Hasta Michigan Avenue: 7 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.
- Michigan Avenue December 31 Hasta Roosevelt Road: 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Roosevelt Road from Michigan Avenue to Columbus Drive: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Columbus Drive Day Roosevelt Road: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Vehicles parked on the side of closed roads will be towed subject to the issuance of tickets. Information on towed vehicles can be found at (312) 744-4444.
Closures will be lifted on an ongoing basis, so when the last participants pass through the area, the roads will be reopened to traffic as soon as possible.